Thursday, July 11, 2019

How can you tell when an auto mechanic is lying to you about the work your vehicle needs?


My air conditioner suddenly stopped working. I mentioned this to my new mechanic whom I liked very much (competent, courteous and knowledgeable).
I mentioned to him some components may need resoldering as this was a common problem according to a forum regarding my make, model and year. He said he would take a look and let me know.
The next day he calls and says it will cost $240 to replace two faulty sensors, parts, labor and freon. I say okay but am suspicious of the diagnosis. The air has always been great, no leakage of freon or signs of discharge. Just a sudden stop, no voltage to the compressor.
I really liked the guy but doubted the diagnosis. I have resoldered electrical connections on circuit boards in the past so to prove myself wrong I decided to do this one time “trust but verify” operation.
I removed the center panel, pulled the thermal control unit, extracted the circuit board to inspect the components mentioned on the mechanics forum.
Sure enough a 5-pin Omron relay had been manually resoldered on the board with flux dabbed about. All components are factory soldered to the board, all in the same neat and uniform fashion, so the resolder job stands out visibly.
Should I confront him?
I think not as he is still a good mechanic, I now know his gig, will be on guard and know what to watch out for.
Saddest thing is I was looking forward to a friendship as we seemed to have much in common and had good conversations. What a let down. If he would have only told the truth. I don't mind paying his prices for competent work but I dispise being lied to straight faced, totally unnecessary bull. I'll keep going to him but he's now crap in my book but he'll never know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment